Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Calling Time

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Since today is my 31st birthday, I thought it'd be a good idea to announce that I have come out of retirement to start work on a new film for Spare Time Films.

    Here, as promised, are the details
    -------------------------------------


    ?Calling Time?

    Once in a while, a film comes along that changes the face of modern cinema, that challenges the audience to question their own beliefs and permanently changes the lives of all who see it.

    This is not such a film. This is a film about going down the pub.

    Spare Time Films are proud to announce their forthcoming debut feature, ?Calling Time?. An intelligent, witty and fast-paced comedy, ?Calling Time? charts the adventures of a group of young guys ? Nathan, Stevie, Tommo, Gonzo and James ? when they pop down to their local for a serious night?s drinking.

    Lively debate, personal crises and run-ins with the regulars are just some of the highlights in this character-based, low-budget DV comedy from writer-director Philip Cameron Swales (Video Daze, Play Dead, etc.).

    As the hours pass and the beer flows, the evening gets hazier and more hectic for our heroes, and soon all thoughts of a quiet pint or two fly out of the window.

    Will Nathan ever untangle his complicated love life? Will James ever buy a round? Will everyone?s problems be sorted out by closing time?

    Probably not...


    ?Calling Time? is now in pre-production and is due to be completed by Summer 2005.


    Spare Time Films

  2. #2
    Inactive Member richardmorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2004
    Posts
    107
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm. This could either flop drastically or it could be a success. What will make or break this project is the script. You will need interesting and engaging dialogue and instantly quotable lines. IMO you need to think Tarantino.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been writing scripts for over 10 years now, so I think I can get a pretty good handle on the material.

    I won't be shooting a frame till the script is up-to-scratch.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member richardmorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2004
    Posts
    107
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    You should act out scenes as well before writing the script, because a lot of good stuff can come from improvising. Have a topic of discussion in mind and just get your actors to sit around a table as if theyre in a pub and talk about it, see what materialises. Anything good goes in the script.

  5. #5
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a good idea - the only problem is that I won't be casting the film until after the script is written.

    However, I will be keeping a sharp ear whenever I go to the pub, to listen in on people's conversations and make mental notes.

    Actually, this is the second incarnation of "Calling Time". It was originally MUCH bigger in scope, set over several week, with many more main characters, and utilising several pubs and clubs.

    I got about two thirds the way through writing the script, before I realised it would just be too damn big to realise without any money, professional talent and track record to speak of.

    So I went back to the drawing board and simplified the premise to the idea I announced on Monday.

  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Right, I'm off down the pub to do some, er, research for Calling Time.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member = KA$H ='s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    166
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by philipswales:
    Right, I'm off down the pub to do some, er, research for Calling Time.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ah, so that's it...

  8. #8
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Funnily enough, I'm just off out again to do some more "research".

  9. #9
    Inactive Member richardmorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2004
    Posts
    107
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hows it going? Any potential pub conversations?

  10. #10
    HB Forum Owner philipswales's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2000
    Posts
    412
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Nah. People are mostly boring.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •